Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Denver, CO to Kearney, NE June 16, 2009

Before we leave Denver, come with me as I take one last walk around Suzi and Shaun's neighborhood.

Immediately upon leaving the subdivision, the Prairie Dog colony is right across the street.....


Then, as we pass the colony, we come to a large undeveloped lot which lets us have a view of Rockies to the west.......


Then down and around the corner to Albertson's to get the paper. As we come out of the Albertson's and turn to the east, this greets the eye....about 10-15 miles out there somewhere is DIA......


A turn to the south and a short walk brings us by the rainwater run-off collection pond for the shopping center where Albertson's is, occupied this morning by Mr. Blue Heron....


A couple of blocks further south gives us this view down the hill to Commerce City. If you look closely after you enlarge the picture, you can see the snow covered Rockies in the upper right....


The last turn to the west to return to Suzi and Shaun's house takes us by a break in the neighborhood development and this view -- looking down on The Mile High City!


Then it was on the road. This trip back east we're going to take a route that we haven't used in a long time because we thought it was much longer --- I-76 northeast to I-80 across Nebraska and Iowa to Davenport, I-74 to Indianapolis, I-70 to Dayton, OH, US35 across Ohio and into West Virginia, then pick up I-64 east to Charleston, WV, I-77 south to Mt. Airy, NC, US52 south to I-40 at Winston-Salem, NC and follow it all the way home! Google Maps insists that this route is only 100 miles and 2 hours longer than using I-70 to St. Louis then cutting down to I-40 at Nashville. We shall see!

Today's segment was I-76 from Denver northeast to I-80 in Nebraska, then east to Kearney, NB (pronounced locally as Carny). 360 miles.

It's remarkable how much easier it is to drive the Tahoe cross country than the motorhome. It is faster, easier to maneuver when getting off and on the Interstate, getting fuel, etc.

Hope all is well with all of you!

MMG and DDG

No comments:

Post a Comment